Sunday, February 14, 2010

Combining Family Fun and Exercise

When I started looking at my priorities at the end of last year, I realized "I" was not getting enough attention.  One of those areas was exercise and my health.  As moms, there are so many items we can use as excuses (and I use most of them).  However, today my family took advantage of the beautiful weather while having a great time and getting some exercise.

We all decided to climb on our bikes (with the youngest in a bike stoller) and rode to the neighborhood park.  I am sure those who know me are in shock right now as I have not been on a bike in over 15 years.  I had some bad accidents and gave up bike riding.  However, I always felt a pain of regret when I watched families riding their bikes together.  So, when I heard Target had bikes on clearance a few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a bike and helmet for under $50.  True - it is a men's bike and is kind of funny looking, but I figured this was my chance.  And I am so happy I did.  Today I got to be part of that family taking advantage of the beautiful day as we all rode to the park together.  Then we spend over an hour at the park, where my husband got the best exercise chasing the girls and playing games like Red Light Green Light and freeze tag.  Yes, this does count as excercise. 

I really hope the Spring brings more wonderful weekend days like today!!!

No comments: