Sunday, January 24, 2010

Saving Money at Work

For the first three weeks of the year, we have been doing very well at not throwing away our money at work.  Our goal for the year is to bring our breakfast and lunches atleast three times a week.  In doing this, we will save over $60 a week.  I have been doing even better than my goal.  So far I have spent $17 at work in the last three weeks.  Prior to this year, I could spend that in two days.  This is how we are doing it:

We bring a box of cereal and leave it at our desks for breakfast.  Even if I eat two boxes a week (I snack on it as well), that is $2.00 I have spent for 5 breakfasts versus $2.50 for one breakfast.

Lunches - We try to pack up our lunches at dinner to save time and make sure it gets done.  We also have cans of soup that are easy to grab on the way out the door in the morning.

Snacks and other expenses - We are bringing our sodas to work.  Also, we are taking advantage of the free water and coffee at work.  This reduces the $2.00 a day I would spend on soda.
I have also tried to bake a sweet item at the begining of every week.  By placing a bit of this in our lunches each day, it has helped reduce our sweet tooth.  And by doing this we no longer by desserts at work.

Look around at what you spend each day/each week at work.  See if there is a place where you can cut back or a small change you can make.  It is amazing how fast it will add up!

No comments: